StreamProvider is similar to FutureProvider but for Streams instead of
StreamProvider is usually used for:
- listening to Firebase or web-sockets
- rebuilding another provider every few seconds
Since Streams naturally expose a way for listening to updates, some may think
StreamProvider has a low value. In particular, you may believe that
Flutter's StreamBuilder would work just as well for listening to a Stream, but
this is a mistake.
StreamProvider over StreamBuilder has numerous benefits:
- it allows other providers to listen to the stream using ref.watch.
- it ensures that loading and error cases are properly handled, thanks to AsyncValue.
- it removes the need for having to differentiate broadcast streams vs normal streams.
- it caches the latest value emitted by the stream, ensuring that if a listener is added after an event is emitted, the listener will still have immediate access to the most up-to-date event.
- it allows easily mocking the stream during tests by overriding the